What is Unity
A positive path for spiritual living. We honor all paths to God.
The Five Basic Principles of Unity
- God is the only true presence and power in the Universe.
- We are individualized expressions of God; our divine potential and spiritual essence are called the Christ.
- We create our reality through the thoughts we hold in consciousness.
- We become aware of our oneness with God through prayer and meditation.
- We must put spiritual truth into practice in order to change our lives.
Spiritual seekers often say that finding Unity is like coming home.
Unity is an open-minded, accepting spiritual community that honors all paths to God and helps people discover and live their spiritual potential and purpose.
Unity emphasizes the practical, everyday application of spiritual principles to help people live more abundant and meaningful lives. A positive alternative to negative religion, Unity seeks to apply the teachings of Jesus as well as other spiritual masters.
Unity affirms the power of prayer and meditation to help people experience a stronger connection with God every day.
The Unity Movement
Unity is not just one spiritual center. Unity is a denomination, a collective of spiritual centers around the world.
Unity publishes books, CDs, and magazines, including inspirational messages for each day, the Daily Word.
For over 125 years, the Unity movement has provided free 24/7 prayer support called Silent Unity. Silent Unity is a global resource with nineteen prayer centers around the world speaking six languages. You may call Silent Unity at any time: 1-800-669-7729. Unity also sponsors full-service websites and a 24/7 online radio network:
Although personal and spiritual growth come from within, most people appreciate learning, friendships, support, and companionship along the way. Unity is committed to helping you find your way to your own understanding—and experience—of God.
Last updated on December 9, 2021
What We Believe
We all have an innate capacity to know God through direct experience
God is Spirit, the loving source of all that is. God is the one power, all good, everywhere present, all wisdom. God is divine energy, continually creating, expressing, and sustaining all creation. In God, we live and move and have our being. In Unity, some other ways we speak of God are Life, Light, Love, Substance, Principle, Law, and Universal Mind.
We believe that Jesus expressed his divine potential and sought to show humankind how to express ours as well. We see Jesus as a master teacher of universal truths and as our Way Shower. In Unity, we use the term Christ to mean the divinity in humankind. Jesus is the great example of the Christ in expression.
The Nature of Humankind
We are each individual, eternal expressions of God. Our essential nature is divine and therefore inherently good. Our purpose is to express our divine potential as realized and demonstrated by Jesus and other master teachers. The more we awaken to our divine nature, the more fully God expresses in and through our lives.
Unity founders Charles and Myrtle Fillmore studied the Bible as history and allegory, and interpreted it as a metaphysical representation of humankind’s evolutionary journey toward spiritual awakening. In addition, Unity recognizes that the Bible is a complex collection of writings compiled over many centuries. We honor the writings as reflecting the understanding and inspiration of the writers at the time they were written. The Bible continues to be a valuable spiritual resource for us.
- Heaven is not a place, but a state of consciousness; we create our own heaven and hell here and now.
- We all have an innate capacity to know God through direct experience.
- The “Christ” is that part of God that is in every person. There is a spark of divinity within all people, just as there was in Jesus.
- Prayer works.
- We are here to set a positive example and be a role model for others.
- We are here to make the world a better place.
Prayer and Meditation
Affirmative prayer is the highest form of creative thought. It includes releasing counterproductive, negative thoughts, as well as holding in mind statements of spiritual truth. Through meditation, we experience the presence of God. Prayer and meditation heighten our awareness and thereby transform our lives.
Listen to recordings of Unity of Fairfax members describing their experiences when first coming to Unity of Fairfax:
- Audio, Individual Recordings – Testimonials
- Have a look below at our Video Collage – “What Unity Means to Me”