Arctic Refuge Defense Campaign
Download the Earth Day coloring book! Share your drawings (all ages welcome!) using the hashtag #ProtectTheArctic on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.
Tune into Earth Day Live, a livestream mobilization that features activists, musical acts, celebrities, cooking shows, dance parties, and more.
from doom and gloom to
optimism and opportunity
A FREE DIGITAL EVENT!
On the 50th anniversary of Earth Day 2020, join up for an online for an Earth Optimism digital event that showcases stories of both small and large-scale actions that frame the conversation and demonstrate that success is possible.
Share your stories of success with #EarthOptimism and help us inspire millions of people around the world for greater impact!
Click to Learn More about Us.
The Greening of Fairfax
On July 30th, 2019 Fairfax County sponsored:
Faith Communities in Action
The meeting addressed the Greening of Fairfax and was hosted by Unity of Fairfax.
Pete Clifford and Rick Hartley highlighted the role of the EarthCare Team.
EarthCare Wins Award
The award was presented at the 2019 FACS Awards and Showcase Event held at the Northern Virginia Hebrew Congregation on June 2nd.
Unity of Fairfax and its EarthCare Ministry was one of seven Unity congregations to receive the 2019 Green Star Award for Congregational Environmental Excellence from Unity Worldwide Ministries on June 17th.
History: Earthcare Team members beautifying the area in July 2017 where labyrinth will be constructed: Pre-Labyrinth Beautification Album
People’s Climate Movement
Aligned with the Unity of Fairfax Core Value on Integrity — “Our thoughts, words, and deeds are trustworthy, authentic, respectful, and responsible.” — we have kept our commitment to the Unity EarthCare Covenant, as demonstrated by:
- Conducting the annual Earth Day event
- Conducting the very successful annual Winter Solstice Celebration
- Representing Unity of Fairfax as a member of the Faith Alliance for Climate Solutions (FACS) to collectively focus on local and state governments to take the lead in energy conservation and environmental stewardship.
- Offering monthly the very popular Local and Earthcare Sunday refreshments
- Providing earth curriculum in Sunday school (e.g., planting tulips and caring for five planters in front of the church)
- Renewing annually our sacred Unity EarthCare Covenant with the congregation
- Providing education to the community on Best Practices (BPs) in storm water management through tours and seminars to interested parties, such as the Earth Science classes at NVCC. We have been designated as a county demonstration site.
Earth Friendly Purchases
- Purchasing new recycle bins for use in the Atrium and Kitchen
- Purchasing new compost bins for food scraps and coffee grounds
- Installing more native plants and trees, including nine new Dogwoods along Hunter Mill Road
Work On Our Campus
- Sponsoring the Adopt-a-Spot program to maintain our gardens
- Installing new landscaping under the Unity wall sign at the East end of the building and at the Labyrinth
- Maintaining and beautifying our Meditation Garden
- Maintaining our grounds with organic materials and eliminating chemicals
- Sponsoring the Spring and Fall Beautification Days
- Sponsoring Summer Weed Pulling and Pizza Parties (oh yeah!)
- Supervising the trimming and removal of dying trees on our campus
- Producing the Unity of Fairfax monthly Green Insert to provide environmental news and local and church activities on such topics as energy, recycling, spirituality and environmental justice, FACS updates, and landscaping and local green products.
- Maintaining liaison with the Saturday Farmer’s Market in our parking lot
- Conducting team monthly meetings on every second Monday 7 – 9 p.m., where all are welcome to come and share their ideas and energy about our five-sacred acres
- Overseeing the audit of the church’s electrical usage and bringing to fruition the total replacement of all fluorescent and incandescent lighting with state-of-the-art LED lights. This project saved many dollars from the church's operating fund and has reduced climate damaging emissions.
Would You Like To Be An Earthling?
As you see from the list of the EarthCare actions last year, we have many interests beginning with the care of our five-sacred acres, but we are much more. We sponsor and co-sponsor many events here at Unity and with other organizations. We are about educating ourselves and others on ecology, climate change, storm water management, providing a healthy environment for pollinators, green roofs, energy audits, conservation and wildlife protection, and gardening.
You too can become an Adopt-A-Spotter. Our motto is, “There is no spot where God is not.”
The legacy of EarthCare at Unity of Fairfax is on the EarthCare Legacy page on our website.