Self Enquiry, Spiritual Practice, Contemplation
Sundays between services, 10:15 - 10:55 am, in Classroom #5
Classes On Hold, July 2019
Classes are temporarily on hold; look here for when we resume.
2nd Tier Circle meetings are usually recorded. Visit the 2nd Tier Circle Podcast Summary page.
Sri Swami Satchidananda is one of the world's best known and most respected Yoga masters. Yoga (with a capital Y) refers to a thousand years old spiritual tradition and not just the practice of postures which is called Hatha Yoga. The purpose of Yoga is communion with the divine.
In Satchidananda's teachings and stories, he offers guidance for everyday problems in family life and business. He shows how to realize Universal Consciousness. His teachings outline the path to peace of mind and a new, more spiritual way of life.
We will be drawing our lessons from various the following book:
- The Living Gita, the complete Bhagavad Gita, a commentary for modern readers, and
We will focus on several particular teachings:
- Dedication to a life of service for others
- Acting for the sake of acting, doing as spirit guides, and letting God be in charge of results; e.g., avoiding fixed expectations and anticipations,
- Getting free from the turmoil of "I-consciousness" and experiencing the peace of "unity-consciousness."
- A path towards ongoing spiritual transformation and union, emphasizing the path rather than a destination.
Quotes from Satchidanda
- "Truth is one, paths are many"
- Satchidananda recommends that people honor the religious tradition that most speaks to their heart, often the one that they grew up with.
- "Scriptures ought to be read again and again ... If any of the lines here catch your eye and your heart, read them often. Learn them by heart, and apply them in your life. You don't even need a whole sentence, not even half a sentence. Just a quarter of one line is enough to lift you like a rocket, not just to the moon or Mars, but to the heavenly sun itself."
- We will commence with the study of Satchidananda's annotated version of the Bhagavad Gita.
- "The ultimate quest of the entire world is peace. Only in peace do we have joy. Not by acquiring things, not by doing things, not by earning or learning, but by dedication. You entire life must be a sacrifice. Think for the sake of others. To such a person, peace is guaranteed."
- "Normally, we think of the world first. But [holy scripture] believes in transforming the individual before transforming the world. Whatever change we want to happen outside should happen inside. And if you walk in peace and express peace in your very life, others will see you and learn something."
For information: email Steve Marcom
The Sound of Ohm
Listen to the sound of "ohm" four times. 2nd Tier Circle makes one sound of "ohm" to begin and end each class:
Download the History of 2nd Tier Circle