- Our nursery is open from 8:45 AM to 12:45 PM on Sundays.
- Youth Education is provided during the 11:00 AM service.
- All children are unique individual expressions of God with infinite potential to create their own experiences.
- NEW! See candid photos of our children & adults decorating Gingerbread Houses, February 2017. Additional photos in the Recent Photos album.
Youth & Family Ministry Newsletter
Typical Sunday Youth Class Routine – Preschool through Uniteen
- Parents may sign their children in starting at 10:45. Classes start at 11:00
- Children come into room 7 where they get a chance to visit with each other, work on activities and talk with a Prayer Chaplain and other adults.
- Our day begins with a prayer circle lead by a Prayer Chaplain. We then have a short group lesson. It may be singing a song and introducing a theme.
- Children go to their classes for individualized learning.
- After the offering is taken during the second service, the children all come into the sanctuary and up to the stage. Rev. Russ always has a delightful interaction with the children.
- The Congregation blesses the children.
- We all join hands with the congregation to sing The Peace Song and say the Prayer of Truth.
- Children wait on stage with their teachers. Parents come to the stage where the sign-in and out books are located. After signing out, the children leave with their parents.
- We offer curriculums that children can safely explore their Christ-nature and express their full potential. Our Curriculums are drawn from a variety of sources and are in alignment with the Association of Unity Churches.
- Our children develop a strong, common background in Bible Principles, Unity principles, spiritual and metaphysical principles, Unity background, and exploration of other belief systems and how they relate to Unity.
- We believe in cooperative learning, where children and adults explore the rich subject matter together. Classes are age appropriate and the activities are crafted so each child’s talents are drawn out and strengthened. Strong emphasis is put on connecting spiritual practices to the everyday lives of the children, so they grow up with the firm understanding that spirituality is not a Sunday-only things, but a part of every moment of their lives.
- We strive to make classes fun, exciting and meaningful so your child’s early spiritual experiences will foster a life-long joy of spiritual quests.
- Built into these exciting, age appropriate lessons are Bible Stories, Unity Principles, Wisdom Stories around the world, songs, art, games, connections and interactions and smiles.
The nursery is open from 8:45 AM till 12:45 PM each Sunday. It is a loving and warm place for little ones from newborn baby to preschool child.
Important: Parents are asked to sign their children in and out. We ask that parents leave their cell phone number with the attendant in case we need to reach a parent during a class or service.
Preschool and Nursery are introduced to the principles through song and play. They become aware of the terms and what they are through interactive play, fingerplays, song and art.
* Preschoolers have the option of attending the Preschool - First Grade class during the second service. If your child feels more comfortable staying in the nursery, that's perfectly fine.
Preschool through first grade are introduced to the 12 Powers in the form of Forest Curriculum.
Students learn all about the ‘animals’ in Unity Forest.
For example, James the Owl, loves yellow and is very wise.
2nd – 5th graders take the knowledge they have and begin to apply it using more complex thinking skills.
In their class, they are pretending they are the Head of a huge complex of 12 Superheroes – which parallels humans having mastery over their 12 powers.
The children explore the powers and themselves by creating a world of Superheroes.
Uniteens explore a world where the citizens decided they wanted world piece, so they divided the world into 12 factions – the Twelve Powers.
In a world where each faction only expresses one power per faction, what would each faction look like? How would they dress? How would they approach problems? What would be the strengths? The weaknesses? How would it help to pair with another power?
These questions go on and on as they create their own world.
During this time, they look at our world and see how many of these things apply to our own times.
Y.O.U. (Youth of Unity) Program is an international youth group for teens ages 14-18 (grades 9-12).
The high-schooler’s curriculum is a highly interactive program in which the students:
- explore what they’ve learned throughout the program,
- add to it, and
- look forwards to the challenges they will experience as they enter the adult world.
Our programs rely entirely on volunteer support. We seek volunteers as classroom teachers and assistants in all of our classes.
Materials and support are provided. Contact Beverly Ellis, Youth Education Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-963-5903
- All children must have a current annual registration form on file. This alerts us to allergies and other important ‘need-to-know’ information about your child such as your contact number, photo release permission and live streaming permission.
- Registration Forms are available from the youth teacher or on the signin table or ONLINE.
- All children EXCEPT the YOU and Uniteens must be signed in and out by parent or designated adult.
- Nursery sign-in and out is located in the Nursery. Preschool through Uniteen sign-in is located in the classroom hallway. Sign-out is done in the sanctuary by returning your child's nametag to the teacher.
- Our classes start at 11:00
- Preschool through 5th grade children can be signed-in starting at 10:45. Preschool through Uniteen classes come together to start their day in room 7. After a group meeting, children go to their various classrooms. Nursery children report directly to their classroom. YOU children report directly to their classroom.
- Preschool, K-2nd, 3rd – 5th and Uniteens finish their class in the sanctuary. At the end of the service, these children come on stage to share with the congregation the things that they’ve learned during their class and receive a blessing from our congregation. It’s a wonderful time of bonding between the generations. Then the whole congregation, from preschool to the oldest member, joins hands for the Peace Song and Prayer of Truth.
- Parents of preschool - 5th graders come to the stage to sign out their children. Sign-out consists of returning your child's nametag to his/her teacher. Children wait on the stage until with their teachers until signed out.
- We have a Disruptive Behavior Policy in place because we believe in the safety of all our children and volunteers. In the rare case where a child’s behavior is impacting negatively on others and causing concerns, we have loving procedures in place for all involved.
- Download a PDF copy of Unity of Fairfax's Disruptive Behavior Policy