2854 Hunter Mill Road, Oakton,
VA 22124. Phone: 703-281-1767
First to Second Grade
Youth > First to Second Grade
Our lessons introduce young children to Unity principles and values.
Sunday School for First and Second Grade
Unity of Fairfax combines children in First and Second Grade (ages 6 to 8) into one class. On any given Sunday, the class averages about 4 to 5 children.
The curriculum comes from Unity World Wide Ministries and is based on Bible or Unity-related stories or themes. The themes are matched to the Celebrating My God Self curriculum. Each lesson is designed to introduce young children to Unity principles and values. As an example, the lesson on "Compassion and Forgiveness" includes the following:
- Issue: I want to feel love towards myself, but it’s hard when I’ve hurt someone.
- Principle: I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe.
- Affirmation: I forgive myself now. Thank you, God!
- Scripture: So when you offer your gift to God at the altar, and you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there at the altar. Go and make peace with that person, and then come and offer your gift. (Matthew 5:23-24 New Century Version)
- Song: “Magic Penny,” Wings of Song, #179.
The message of this lessson is that we receive forgiveness as a gift from ourselves and others. Others may or may not forgive us, but we can give ourselves the gift of forgiveness. Receiving denotes more of a taking in and assimilating than accepting does. We receive a gift—we accept circumstances we may or may not like. Children can experience forgiveness from themselves, even if the other person chooses not to forgive.
Last updated on August 3, 2012