2854 Hunter Mill Road, Oakton,
VA 22124. Phone: 703-281-1767
Prayer > Prayer Chaplains
Trained Prayer Chaplains are available for personal prayer with you on Sunday mornings and during monthly care calls
Prayer Chaplains are Available to Pray with Everyone
Before each service on Sunday a Chaplain will be available to pray with you. A Chaplain may be found standing by the Prayer Corner to your right at the rear of the Sanctuary. After each service Chaplains will be in the front of the Sanctuary and by the Prayer Corner, ready and waiting to pray with you.
Back Row, l to r: Elizabeth Morig, Joann Phillips, Liz Updike, Lisa Colburn, Pamela Powers, Rev. Jane St. John (Team Leader). Front Row, l to r: Fran Patchett,(Training Assistant), Evelyn Ripka, Ellie Hunt, Anita Hartley (Schedule Coordinator), Sheron Jones. Not pictured: Sue Kenworthy
Unity of Fairfax Members May Request a Care Call
Members of Unity of Fairfax may request a monthly care call from a Chaplain.
Complete the request form found on the Prayer Table in the Atrium Hall and place it in the Chaplain Request Container beside these forms. A Chaplain will be assigned to contact you on a monthly basis to pray with you, to give thanks for the good in your life, and to affirm the Christ in you and all around you.
- Rev. Jane St. John, Pastoral Care Minister <leave voice mail on 703-281-1767 ext 114>
- Anita Hartley, Schedule Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Prayer Chaplains Will
Our Prayer Chaplains Will Not
- Counsel or advise
- Fulfill the role of a personal confidante
- Discuss your prayer request with others
- Make judgments about information shared with them
Requirements to Become a Prayer Chaplain
Each Sacred Service Ministry, including Prayer Chaplains, provides a form to participate in that ministry. The card file on the wall in the Atrium contains copies of the forms. Each form describe a ministry and provides a place for an individual's contact information.
- Be a voting member of Unity of Fairfax
- Understand and demonstrate Unity principles in day-to-day activities
- Be an active participant in the Unity of Fairfax community
- Complete a Unity Basics class and a Unity Prayer class within the past two (2) years
- Preliminary interviews begin in January for those interested in participating in the Chaplain Training program in February.
- Candidates will be required to participate in scheduled training sessions.
- More training will be provided for new candidates than for returning Chaplains
- At the completion of the training program, second interviews will be conducted to determine each candidate’s ability, commitment and preparedness to serve as a Prayer Chaplain
- A dedication service will be held in June to recognize those who will serve during the coming year
A Prayer Chaplain's Commitments
- I commit to my own spiritual growth through a daily spiritual journey based on love, faith, prayer, and gratitude.
- I commit to actively practice Unity Principles and Beliefs in my daily life.
- I commit to expand my conscious expression of Unity Principles through class work, reading, discussion and prayer.
- I commit to an active prayer life, both for myself and with others, as I hold a spiritual space of possibility, knowing and trusting that God is in charge.
- I commit to express the desire and ability to actively listen to others and attune to their deepest meaning.
- I commit to support the spiritual growth of others through listening and honoring their individuality.
- I commit to having and demonstrating a genuine interest in the well being of congregants and other Chaplains.
- I commit to be present for scheduled Chaplain activities on time, prepared and ready to participate in a wholehearted way.
- I commit to hold all that I hear in strict confidence.
Affirmation and Blessing for All
The light of Christ within me
shines brightly in all creation.
The light of Christ envelops our world.
The love of Christ within me
pours forth through the hearts of all creation.
The love of Christ enfolds our world.
The peace of Christ within me
moves calmly through all creation.
The peace of Christ fills our world.
The healing wisdom of Christ within me
heals and protects all creation.
The healing wisdom of Christ heals our world.
Thank you God, Amen
Last updated on January 2 2013